Friday, April 11, 2014

One Raised Bed

Those up there are my little starter containers for my garden this year. Starting my own garden was one of the reasons I was so excited to move out. We had on at my mom's house but, she never did it the way I wanted her too lol. I was doing some looking around for a raised bed and came across some different things. There were a few kits on amazon that looked really nice and weren't too bad on price. This 8 inch raised garden bed kit looks pretty good. It's not big enough for major plants but if you wanted to start a herb garden, that would be more than enough space. I had to go a cheaper route since I don't have a job I'm dirt broke lol. I had a few cedar fence post stored up in the garage and called my dad to come put them together for me. This is what we got
We only needed 6 boards and he used some kind wood to support it. I think he called it a 2x2. I had Danny come loosen the dirt under where I was putting the bed, laid newspaper on the bottom of it for weed control, and filled it about 5 bags of dirt. The bed itself is 2 feet wide, 4 feet long, and 1 foot deep. I have tomatoes, beets, carrots, and spinach in it and have plans to build maybe 3 more for better separation and control. To buy all this stuff it would probably cost you guys no more than 15 dollars. Compared to the 64 dollar, no tools required kit, I made off like a bandit.
There are little beet sprouts in there. Can you see them?

Carrots that will need to be thinned pretty soon.

Bottom left is dill, the two on the right are peppers.

  
Tomatoes!!! Gotta get these tied to a steak pretty soon.

I'm excited to have some lovely veggies pretty soon now that's it's heating up here in Houston.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment so we can be besties!!!